[Mailman-Users] Mailman + htDig

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 17:48:40 CEST 2003

On Saturday, August 9, 2003, at 04:06  pm, Rich West wrote:

> Ok.. I think I know what I did.. I didn't restart the qrunner.  As I
> wrote the previous email to you, I realized that I had _thought_ about
> restarting the qrunner, but didn't.  I went through the whole process
> again:
> o Edit mm_cfg.py to set USE_HTDIR=1
> o python -c 'from compileall import *;
> compile_dir("<prefix>/Mailman",10,"<prefix>/Mailman")'
> o /etc/init.d/mailmanctrl restart
> o bin/rmlist test
> o bin/newlist test
> o bin/arch test
> o Entered additional recipients via the web interface.
> o Sent a test message to the test list
> o /usr/bin/python -S <prefix>/cron/nightly_htdig -v test  (it
> complained about not having the centralized db files, but that seemed
> ok)

I think you can resolve this by reference to the section under the
heading "htdig Permissions Considerations" in INSTALL.htdig-mm

When rundig is being run by 'mailman' cron as the 'mailman' uid it
probably does not have permissions to create the 'shared' htdig db's.
My hack is to give the 'mailman' group group ownership and write
permission over the the common and db subdirectories of the htdig
install (/opt/www/htdig/ or wherever yout htdig is installed), and the
files there contained.

> o Pointed my browser at the test archives, and viola!  The search
> ability was there!  And searching worked!
>
> I'm not sure if it was the fact that I recompiled the mm_cfg.py file
> or restarting the qrunner which started things working, though.
>
> Now, I just have to go through and migrate the existing lists. :)
> Hopefully, that won't be too difficult. :)

Best of luck.

> Thanks for all of your help!

No problem. Pleased you are up and running.