[Mailman-Users] error log reports miss spelled listname?

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 16:25:12 CEST 2003

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 12:44  am, Kirk R Wythers wrote:

>  I have moved a list onto a new machine set up to handle virtual
> hosting. A
> newly created 'testlist' works perfectly. However, the moved list does
> not.
> The mailman error log reports the error: no such list as
> "miss_spelled_listname".

Does the moved list have a directory called $prefix/list/<listname> and
if it is set for archiving a directory called
$prefix/archives/private/<listname> and
$prefix/archives/private/<listname>.mbox?

How/what exactly did you move when you moved this old list to the new
MM 2.1.2 installation?

Does this old list show up on the /mailman/listinfo and /mailman/admin
URI response pages?

Did you run prefix/bin/check_perms -f after manually moving this old
list into the new MM installation area?

Have you tried running fix_url against this moved list?

> The only other odd thing is when I querry 'owner' like this:
>
> /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner

I do not know what you are trying to achieve by running this command
and what you mean by "querying 'owner'".

What you are in fact doing is running the Mailman mail delivery program
wrapper which is intended to be called by the MTA to deliver messages
to Mailman. This wrapper checks the egid it is called with is that
specified by the --with-mail-gid value from the ./configure during
installation. As this condition is not being satisfied when you are
running it from the command line you get an error reported to that
effect.