[Mailman-Users] Approving messages

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Thu Aug 7 16:16:55 CEST 2003

Cindy,

You are correct.  Unfortunately, the exact step-by-step instructions
will depend on the MUA (Mail User Agent or email program) you use.

What Mailman does is send out the confirmation mail with two
attachments.  The first attachment is the original message so you can
read it and be informed.  The second attachment is the message you need
to reply to if you want to approve or discard the message.

If your MUA allows you to reply to the attached message, the
instructions are reasonable.  If your MUA does not allow you to do this,
you have to compose a new message and copy the Subject: of this
attachment and make sure you send it to the <listname-request> address.

Here is a more complete example:

First, the second attachment message:

"Subject: confirm 390a5be57d976cd1b3954224f81d9e3c520e0e97
From: mylist-request at somedomain.com

of the body of the reply."

Second, you want to approve the message.  Your message back to Mailman
should look like this: