[Mailman-Users] Analysis of reasons for bounce responses

JC Dill mailman at vo.cnchost.com
Sat Aug 2 16:32:09 CEST 2003

At 09:30 PM 7/31/2003, Christine De La Rosa wrote:
>Hi Richard,
>
>Here is what I know so far, mail for most list members seem to be going
>through for the most part.  About two weeks ago MM mass unscribed about
>300 folx. Now we seem to have stablized the members but the owners of
>the lists are getting routinely bounced.  Yahoo email address do not
>have a problem, aol is a major headache as is hotmail.

This is a big clue that the MTA is improperly configured and is trying to
deliver to the AOL and Hotmail servers messages for more recipients than
those systems allow - triggering anti-spam filtering on the recipient MTA
at AOL and Hotmail.  The messages are then bounced.  My guess is that they
changed the MTA at around the same time they upgraded Mailman, and you are
barking up the wrong tree to try to find the source of the problem.

jc