[Mailman-Users] Changes to archive pages

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 19:43:32 CEST 2003

At 17:56 30/04/2003, Paul H Byerly wrote:
>Dan Wright wrote:
>>did you try wiping the old archives when rebuilding them?
>
>      Bingo!  When I did that the changes I made to
> /usr/local/mailman/templates/en/article.html showed up on all of the
> archived posts.  HOWEVER, when I send a new post the changes are NOT
> there!  How does that work?
>
>Jon Carnes said:
>>The file you want to look at seems to be:
>>   ~mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py
>
>      I did see a reference to article.html' there, but the code was over
> my head.  I saw this comment at the top of HyperArch.py:
>
>     TODO:
>       - Should be able to force all HTML to be regenerated next time the
>         archive is run, in case a template is changed.
>
>      I thought this indicates that template changes are not
> incorporated.  So I thought the template was being written into the code
> of HyperArch.py when the list was created - but I created a new list and
> the changes to the template did not show on posts to that list's archives.
>
>      I am at a loss as to when, where and how the template is incorporated.
>
>     Perhaps there is a better way of doing what I want?  I'd like to be
> able to insert html into every archive post view - preferably on a list
> by list basis.  Any suggestions on how to do that will be greatly appreciated!
>
><><Paul

I'll assume you are running MM 2.1.2

The function used to populate the article.html template uses a template
cache, I guess to enhance performance.

When you ran arch you it loaded fresh copies of everything, including your
revised template.

Articles being archived by the code running under mailmanctl are probably
still using a cached copy of the old version of the article template.

When you amend any templates you should probably use mailmanctl restart so
that the new version will be reloaded and used for future archiving.