[Mailman-Users] HELP: Mailman 2.1.X, Sendmail, smrsh not playing well together!

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 19:48:58 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 10:21, David J. Duffner - NWCWEB.com wrote:

> 	But it still comes down to the fact Mailman can't
> call Sendmail for handling as 'smrsh' stops the process
> call for security reasons.  Sun/Cobalt/RH doesn't place
> the possible directories as have been discussed here as
> a possible solution, such as '/etc/smrsh' where I could
> place config files or anything that would tell smrsh to
> let the traffic pass.  So I'm clueless at that point.

Are you sure at this point that smrsh is the problem?
<you are getting a log entry in maillog indicating a bounce because of
smrsh>

If so, there could be a few things at work here (depending on if your
sendmail is running chrooted or not.  If sendmail is running in a
chroot, then you have to setup the smrsh to work inside the chrooted
environment.

An other alternative is that your smrsh my not be setup to use
/etc/smrsh (which is a redhat-ism); the default smrsh path is
/usr/adm/sm.bin.  You can find further discussion of this in the
archives (or by looking up smrsh in google.

What version of mailman are you running?

Jon Carnes