[Mailman-Users] virtual hosting

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 15:58:22 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 00:55, Dan Langille wrote:

> > > 1 - You cannot have two mailing lists with the same name in two
> > > different domains and obtain satisfactory results:
> > >
> > The way we currently get around this, is to make an install of Mailman
> > for each domain.
>
> I guess one could fake it by creating a single install, then creating
> a directory of symlinks to the "master" install.  Has anyone
> investigated this?  That at least would simplify the upgrade process
> and act as a bridge until the code is enhanced.

I attempted to setup Mailman at first using sym-links in each of the
virtual domains.  I know that was a total failure (it would lose the
domain specific info), and I ended up doing complete installs for each
domain (only six).  It's been awhile now, since I did that (and it was
with version 2.0.13 which had very limited Virtual Domain support).

It *might* be possible to use sym-links now with version 2.1.2.  Keep in
mind though that version 3.x of Mailman *will* have the virtual domain
features that you are looking for.  You might want to put some efforts
into helping Barry and the dev crew along in their efforts to get that
code written and stable.

> > This is actually well documented in the Archives.
>
> It should be in the FAQ, or at least a point to the archives from the
> FAQ.  My archive search found many people asking the question, but no
> answers.

The FAQ's are user maintained.  Feel free to add to them!

My notes on multiple Virtual Domain installs are in the archives so you
can feel free to borrow from those.

HtH - Jon Carnes