[Mailman-Users] How safely to truncate the mbox file?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 04:16:55 CEST 2003

Sounds like you have the right idea about archives...

The mbox is used to regenerate the web-based archive lists. During
normal use only a certain segment of the archives are rebuilt - like a
months worth or a weeks worth(it depends on your list settings and how
it is set to display the archives).

If you have your archives segmented weekly, then moving the mbox at
midnight on Sunday would do the trick (as long as nothing else had the
file open...).

Do save the mbox files though, you may need to cat them all together and
rebuild those archives at some future date.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes

BTW: you should create a test list and play with that one before doing
this to any of your production lists.