[Mailman-Users] Umbrella and nested lists moderation requests

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 18:13:38 CEST 2003

At 15:13 22/04/2003, John DeCarlo wrote:
>Jerry,
>
>First of all, I didn't have the patience to completely read all the
>details you sent.  Sorry.
>
>Second, I suspect that the answer lies on the Admin page, in the Privacy
>Options -> Sender Filters section.
>
>I think you need to either add the list "top" as a member of every
>sublist, or add "top" to the "List of non-member addresses whose postings
>should be automatically accepted."
>
>OR change "Action to take for postings from non-members for which no
>explicit action is defined" to Accept.
>
>HINSHAW,JERRY L (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:
>>         I have currently set ALL lists (top, injerry, incat, and inclint)
>>with NO Moderation and accepting from everyone. If I mail to any one of the
>>nested (injerry, incat, and inclint) lists as anyone the message delivers no
>>problems. HOWEVER when I send to the umbrella list (top) the List owner of
>>the nested lists (injerry, incat, and inclint) get a message indicating
>>moderation is required for the message sent. Have a missed something or is
>>this incorrect behavior??
>
>--

I think you may need to change a setting, I think its on the Spam filters
page (and I do not have access to a list's admin GUI to check that, as I
write) of the lists that are members of the umbrella list.

Messages to the umbrella list passed down to subordinate lists do not see
themselves in either the To: or Cc: headers.

On each of the subordinate lists you need to say incoming mail is
acceptable if the umbrella list is in the To: or Cc: header. You should
enter a regex that will match the umbrella list (which is in the To: or Cc:
header) for instance:

    ^top at your\.domain\.com$

Note, that being a regex you want to escape the period characters, as they
are a regex meta-character, otherwise they will match any character in that
position not just a period.

If a subordinate list is a member of several umbrella lists or the umbrella
lists are themselves nested, then you can vary the regex as needed, for
instance:

     ^(top|other-top|the-very-apex)@your\.domain\.com$