[Mailman-Users] Virtual url confusion

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 10:24:36 CEST 2003

At 14:54 20/04/2003, Marilyn Davis wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Richard Barrett wrote:
>
> > At 22:41 19/04/2003, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> > >Hi Mailmen and Mailwomen,
> > >
> > >My understanding is that if I add this to my mm_cfg.py:
> > >add_virtualhost('mail.vanity.com', 'vanity.com')
> >
> > The comment in Defaults.py says:
> >
> > <quote>
> > # with virtual domains).  You use "add_virtualhost(urlfqdn, emailfqdn)"
> to add
> > # new mappings.
> > </quote>
> >
> > Is this the problem?
>
>Unless my eyes have crossed from looking at it too long, I think
>that's what I am doing.  "mail.vanity.com" is the url.  I realize
>that, in fact, the mailman web pages do appear there, at
>"mail.vanity.com".  It's only the email messages that drop the "mail"
>from the url.
>
>Maybe it's a bug.  I'll put in a bug report unless someone can make me
>see my problem.
>
>Thank you for your thought.
>
>Marilyn
>

> > >and make a new list like this:
> > >
> > >/usr/local/bin/newlist testc2 at vanity.com
> > >
> > >That the url should be:

> > >But the Welcome message drops the "mail." and just says:

> > >What am I doing wrong?

Per the following quote from the $prefix/bin/newlist usage it appears that
if your add_virtualhost() is correct you should have created the list by
saying:

/usr/local/bin/newlist testc2 at mail.vanity.com

<quote>
You can specify the domain to create your new list in by spelling the listname
like so:

     mylist at www.mydom.ain

where `www.mydom.ain' should be the base hostname for the URL to this virtual
hosts's lists.  E.g. with is setting people will view the general list
overviews at http://www.mydom.ain/mailman/listinfo.  Also, www.mydom.ain
should be a key in the VIRTUAL_HOSTS mapping in mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py.  It
will be looked up to give the email hostname.  If this can't be found, then
www.mydom.ain will be used for both the web interface and the email
interface.
</quote>

Using the URK domain not the mail domain on the newlist comment line is a
little confusing but not, apparently, a bug. But then I could be wrong in
my analysis.