[Mailman-Users] Membership adds not sticking in 2.1.1

Jerry Stratton jerry at sandiego.edu
Fri Apr 18 01:05:22 CEST 2003

Since upgrading to Mailman 2.1.1. I have had intermittent reports of list managers who have trouble subscribing individuals to their lists, usually the first time they try after the list is created. The web page says that the users have been subscribed, and lists each address as subscribed, and the manager receives the e-mail confirmation that the user(s) have been subscribed (if requested), but the users do not show up in the membership list web page.

Sometimes it works when they try it a second time, sometimes it requires me to try as the site administrator before it starts working.

I have verified from the logs that it looks like the behavior they are describing is actually happening. Subscribes show up in the "logs/subscribe" file as if they worked, but the users do not show up in the list. I also have been able to (finally) have this happen to me, logged in as the site administrator on one of these lists.

The subscription attempt appears to be successful on the web page; the log file shows (for example):

Apr 17 15:07:08 2003 (26008) jointdoc: new "jerry at sandiego.edu" <>

However, the user is not listed on the Membership list page, nor from the command line.

I see nothing relevant in any of the other logs to indicate why. I do a grep on some of the names (such as jerry at sandiego.edu) on all files in the logs directory; the names only appear (as in the above line) in the 'subscribe' file.

It appears to happen for both local and external addresses (all addresses are technically external, as mailman is on its own server; another server handles general mail).

The web server is on a different server than the mailman server also. We use a NetApp device and nfs to connect each server to the account's file storage space.

We did not have (or did not notice) this problem in Mailman 2.0.13, the previous version before upgrading to 2.1.1. Most people don't have this problem now. But it's definitely a problem for us.

Does anyone know why this behavior might be happening, or how I might track down why it is happening?

Jerry
jerry at sandiego.edu
http://www.sandiego.edu/~jerry/
Serra 188B/x8773
--
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."--Douglas Adams (Mostly Harmless)