[Mailman-Users] Error starting mailman service

Mike Gideon mike at miis.edu
Thu Apr 17 20:43:28 CEST 2003

I just installed the mailman that comes with RedHat 9.0 ( I think it is
2.1-8).  A piece of documentation says as of ver2.1 mailman requires a
service.

When I try running it I get the following message:

[root at listserv mailman]# /sbin/service mailman start
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 524, in ?

    main()
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 319, in main
    check_privs()
  File "/var/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 274, in check_privs
    gid = grp.getgrnam(mm_cfg.MAILMAN_GROUP)[2]
KeyError: getgrnam(): name not found

Can anyone enlighten me to how to fix it?

Thanx!
Mike