[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.1 crashing when approving a new member

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Apr 17 06:05:20 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 05:31, Sylvain Langlade wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We've setup a list and are getting an error when submiting data to approve a
> new subscription via the Web GUI. What does that mean ? I have another list
> that works fine.

> Bug in Mailman version 2.1.1
>
> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
> If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of
> this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
> happened. Thanks!
>
> Traceback:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 222, in ?
>     run_main()
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 96, in run_main
>     print_traceback(logger)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 119, in print_traceback
>     print >> logfp, '@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@'
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Logging/StampedLogger.py", line 73, in
> write
>     Logger.write(self, "%s %s" % (prefix, msg))
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 88, in write
>     msg = unicode(msg, self.__encoding)
> SystemError: can't resize shared unicode objects

Whoa.  That has to be a Python bug I think.  You should never be able to
provoke a SystemError, expecially from a built-in.

Are you running your list in French or some other language?  It would be
really helpful to know what 'msg' and 'self.__encoding' is here.  Try
adding something like the following right before the failing line:

	fp = open('/tmp/bug.txt')
	print >> fp, repr(msg)
	print >> fp, self.__encoding
	fp.close()

Then mail us the contents of /tmp/bug.txt

-Barry