[Mailman-Users] Bounce emails

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Mon Apr 14 17:14:02 CEST 2003

JS> Hi - I send out a newsletter to about 50k subscribers - I've been
JS> sending them out for about 2 weeks now. Today I received in my
JS> admin mailbox a few thousand messages like this one below. Can
JS> anyone explain to me what this is and what's going on - thanks. I
JS> didn't configure anything for bounce mails everything to the best
JS> of my knowledge is set to the defaults.

What did you use prior to the last two weeks to manage your 50k
subscribers?  Did that software actually delete dead addresses?

You must have configured Mailman to notify you when people bounce too
much and get auto-unusbscribed.  Normally this is good, but when you
move a poorly managed list into a system that actually does a good job
removing dead addresses, you will discover just how many email
addresses go bad each week...

On some large lists we operate 2-4% go bad (ie, don't exist anymore)
per month.