[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman-Users Digest, Vol 7, Issue 33

Jonathan Bentley jbentley at erin.gov.au
Mon Apr 14 07:41:45 CEST 2003

Hi,

  I'm rapidly going insane trying to get mailman working.  Everytime I type
"make install" I get:

  for f in ./*.txt; \
do \
    /usr/local/bin/install -c -m 644 $f /sw/mailman/2.1.1/tests/msgs; \
        done
/usr/local/bin/python -c 'from compileall import *;
compile_dir("/sw/mailman/2.1.1/Mailman")'
  File "<string>", line 1
    from
       ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `doinstall'

I'm using Solaris 8 and have tried various combinations of cc and gcc, all of
which produce the same problem.  I've installed the latest python without any
problems, but it still falls over when it makes the call to python -c.

I'm just about ready to give up and go back to Majordomo, but I thought I'd try
commenting out this call to python in the Makefile.  Before I do though, could
someone please tell me what this line actually does?  Will I have a dodgy
mailman install if I comment it out?

  Thanks for your help,

Jon Bentley.