[Mailman-Users] More permission problems

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 11 22:17:12 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 03:46, Dan Richter wrote:
> >Shoulda been ./configure --with-mail-gid=mail
>
> Are you sure? The install documentation says that the default value of
> --with-mail-gid is mailman. However, it also says that the correct value
> "is highly system dependent".
>
> I think that I had previously installed Mailman with
> --with-mail-gid=postfix (that's my mail server) and had even worse problems.
>
> ========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
>   [Larry] Wall [inventor of Perl] believes that people think about
>   things in different ways, that natural languages accommodate many
>   mindsets, and that programming languages should too.
>     - Jon Udell, in his essay, "A Perl Hacker in the Land of Python"

<I like your quote>

If you are running Mailman version 2.1.1 and your MTA is Postfix then
the recommendation is to use --with-mail-gid=mailman.

This assumes that you will be adding /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases as
a valid aliases map in main.cf for Postfix (for details read the
README.POSTFIX that comes with the Source Code).

Remember to run /usr/local/mailman/bin/genaliases to create the initial
aliases and aliases.db file.  Also note that you will need to modify the
default rights on these two files if you want the automation to work
properly with the web-based creation cgi.  I can't remember the exact
rights screen - I think you have to either "chmod o+w aliases.db" or you
have to set the owner of the aliases.db file to the webserver owner
(apache) and make sure the owner has write writes.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes