[Mailman-Users] Upgrading from 1.1 to 2.1.x

Thomas Hillson hillson at iastate.edu
Wed Apr 9 14:56:34 CEST 2003

Raf,

My suggestion would be do not upgrade from 1.1 to 2.1.1. This is what
I did on my old system when I moved it up.

1. export all of your lists to text files. listname.txt. copy them to
a safe place.
2. warn everyone the system is going down for a while while you upgrade.
3. tar the old directory and save it in a save place.
4. install Mailman 2.1.1 on the new server, and be sure you follow
instructions in INSTALL file. Check the INSTALL.MTA file for special
instructions for your MTA.
5. follow all the instruction in the INSTALL file to configure the new setup.
6. make sure the new install is working correctly.
7. recreate your lists with the same names and import all your users
from the text files.
8. test to make sure everything is working and announce to your users
that the server is back up.

Good luck,
--Tom
| Tom Hillson              Computer Services Manager
|(515) 294-1543            College of Agriculture
|                                     Iowa State University
|"The only thing I have too much of is too little time"