[Mailman-Users] Syntax error encountered on install

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 7 17:15:13 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 21:39, Jonathan Bentley wrote:
<snip>
>         done
> /usr/local/bin/python -c 'from compileall import *; compile_dir("/sw/mailman/2.1.1/Mailman")'
>   File "<string>", line 1
>     from
>        ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `doinstall'
>

>    I get the same syntax error if I run /usr/local/python -c 'from compileall import *'  at the command line.  This seems
> to indicate it's a problem with Python.  Any advice would be great.
>
>    Cheers.
>
>  JB.

I just ran that snippet on my linux box with no problems.  Do you know
what version of Python you have and if you have all of python loaded (or
merely some convenient bits).  A lot of folks in the past have had
problems on Solaris due to incomplete python installs.

You could always download it from source and install it.  That has
worked in the past.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes