[Mailman-Users] Group id Catch-22 after list move

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Apr 7 03:30:16 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 19:36, Todd Green wrote:

> I do not believe this is the case.  Postfix will execute commands via the
> uid specified by "postconf default_privs" which is set to nobody if you
> don't change it.  However the mailman script is setgid, so it will run with
> an effective group of "mailman" (or whatever you set it to be via configure)
> which is why I said that postfix should have been added to the mailman group
> in the first place ;-)

>From http://www.postfix.org/local.8.html

DELIVERY RIGHTS
       Deliveries to external files  and  external  commands  are
       made with the rights of the receiving user on whose behalf
       the delivery is made.  In the absence of a  user  context,
       the  local  daemon  uses the owner rights of the :include:
       file or alias database.  When those files are owned by the
       superuser, delivery is made with the rights specified with
       the default_privs configuration parameter.

-Barry