[Mailman-Users] Group id Catch-22 after list move

Nick Arnett narnett at mccmedia.com
Sat Apr 5 18:12:58 CEST 2003

I recently moved a couple of lists to a new machine, also upgrading from a
2.1 beta to the final.  I copied the entire Mailman directory structure from
the old to the new machine, then installed 2.1.  I also switched from
Sendmail to Postfix.  Now I seem to have a Catch-22 with regard to user ids.
My old lists are running okay.  However, any new list I create has a user id
problem with Postfix -- I get the "Mailman expected the mail wrapper script
to be executed as group..." error when posting to a new list.  If I
re-install, using the group name it expects for the new lists, then the new
lists work, but the old ones produce that error.

I've looked at the source until my eyes cross and I can't figure out how to
fix this.  Any suggestions?

Oh, and one more annoyance.  The urls for the admin pages for the internal
Mailman list only work if "Mailman" in the url has an upper-case "M", but it
is lower-case in all of the pages.  Can't figure out how to fix that,
either... I tried re-creating the list, but then I get the problem described
above.

Yeah, I did something bad, apparently.

[And just to make my life more interesting, some dang spammer decided to
forge "listserv (at) mccmedia.com" as his spam's return address, which is
aliased to mailman, so the internal list is getting swamped with bounces
that look like postings from non-members.]

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
Phone/fax: (408) 904-7198