[Mailman-Users] trimming archives

Dave Stern - Former Rocket Scientist dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Apr 3 15:21:35 CEST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Dave  Stern - Former Rocket Scientist wrote:

> How do you trim back archives? I presume
>
> find {$MAILMAN}/archives/private -name "*.gz" -exec rm "{}" \;
>
> would be a bad idea as the indices still think they exist (or would
> the cronjobs fix this)

Before I get a flurry of RTF-faq messages, perhaps I should explain in better
detail. Let's say I wanna remove ALL archived data prior to 2003. I could

find {$MAILMAN}/archives/private -name "2002-*" -exec rm -rf "{}" \;

which will take care of the txt an gzipped files and running
{$MAILMAN}/bin/arch `{$MAILMAN}/bin/list_lists`
would theoretically rearchive them but the problem is the index.html files
for each list still has a stanza for each month.

What I'm looking for is an automated way of cleaning things up. I don't
wanna have to manually edit the idex.html altho it sounds like I may have to
ie something like doing another find for index.html, exec sed where it
searches for "2002", go back a line to the beginning of the <tr> stanza,
delete to EOF, and re-add </table> </BODY> </HTML>     Yech!!!!

 David Stern                                            University of Maryland
                Institute for Advanced Computer Studies