[Mailman-Users] Content Filter Puzzle

Matt Minahan matt at minahangroup.com
Tue Apr 1 16:07:28 CEST 2003

Dear Mailfolk, we're running a text-only list using Mm 2.1.1 on Red Hat Linux.

I have the content filter set up to reject all of the following:
content-type: .*octet
content-type: .*oda
content-type: .*audio
content-type: .*image
content-type: .*alternative
content-type: .*digest
content-type: .*mixed
content-type: .*related
content-type: .*rich
content-type: .*html
content-type: .*video

The pass mime types is set up for text/plain, and the action is "reject."

My problem: Mm seems to be sending out two different messages to the sender
when an incoming message gets filtered.  Sometimes -- and I can't figure
out when -- it's sending out: "The message's content type was not
explicitly allowed"

And other times, it's sending out:
"Your mail to 'Odnet-test2' with the subject
     test
The reason it is being held:
     Message has a suspicious header"

The content/type of the incoming message in both cases is text/html, so I
don't understand why Mm would treat them differently.  Any ideas about why
the same content/type would trigger different actions by Mm?

Thanks.

                 Matt Minahan, Ed.D

Organization Strategy,  Design, and  Development
http://www.minahangroup.com   Ph:  301-625-0101
email:matt at minahangroup.com   Fx:  301-625-0202