[Mailman-Users] Re: Do I need an MX Record

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Tue Apr 1 03:04:35 CEST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 03:57:47PM -0500, Sullivan, John wrote:

> OK - But how do I get lists.mlsnet.com to relay mail to the mlsnet.com
> mail server. Subcribers from the mlsnet.com domain are not receiving
> any news letters sent out from the lists.mlsnet.com server. I am
> getting a connection timed out when it tries to contact the external
> MX records.
>
> I have added an entry in my hosts file that looks like this:
>
> 10.10.10.1 mlsnet.com
>

> which is the internal ip of the mlsnet.com mail server.

This isn't a mailman question, but rather a MTA configuration question.

What's the result of (from lists.mlsnet.com):

 % dig mlsnet.com mx
 % cat /etc/resolv.conf

Can you send normal mail from that machine to users at mlsnet.com? In
other words, does something like this:

 % echo 'blah' | mail -s "test" luser at mlsnet.com

(where luser at mlsnet.com is a valid address at this domain) work?

What is in your logs?

--
The Pope has said this war is wrong, that it is a Sin. The Pope! But
even worse, the Dixie Chicks have now come out against you! How bad does