[Mailman-Users] MM & Mac OS X ?

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Mon Sep 30 06:35:06 CEST 2002

How helpful this is remains to be seen, but I have been running mailman
with qmail under OS X for a couple of months now. I installed under
10.1 first, using fink to install python, and installing qmail
essentially from scratch. After I installed qmail I did a fair amount
of testing to ensure that qmail was accepting and delivering mail
properly. This is running on my home system, but my daughters' systems
are networked via a router, and the whole network is accessing the net
through an ADSL connection with static IP and my own domain name. I
didn't install mailman until I had mail working properly for everyone
and was sure that there were no open relays.

I installed 2.0.12 first, then upgraded almost immediately to 2.0.13. I
had a couple of problems with permissions, so I reconfigured with
various options set. All of this was still under 10.1. After the
upgrade to 10.2 I had no obvious problems - everything worked - but
when I checked the system log I found I was getting a lot of complaints
about pre-binding on python. I haven't worked out what's going on
there. It's not that the message doesn't make sense, but that it is
intermittent. If I reboot, sometimes the pre-binding message goes away.
I haven't spent much time on it, and won't as long as the system
operates properly. Eventually fink will catch up with 10.2 or I'll
rebuild with the system's version of python - but not today.

My needs are light. On a busy day I might get ten incoming messages and
direct them to a couple of hundred address. I've had one glitch so far,
but it was a qmail freeze which resulted from the trigger file being
left in an odd state after I killed the system one night while playing
with some early software. I should know better than to run version 0.01
of anything....  I reset the perms on the trigger and rebooted, and
eventually qmail came out of its trance. Mailman itslef has been solid.
I was running LetterRip under OS 9, and my users really appreciate the
web interface and archiving which mailman provides.

Bottom line is, mailman can run under 10.2 but since I haven't tried to
install directly I doubt I can help with your problem, though I'm
willing to try. I just hope this is encouraging enough that you
persevere.

What are you using for mail service?