[Mailman-Users] ## Mailman Questions for "FAQ"

Fred Showker showker at graphic-design.com
Fri Sep 27 13:02:19 CEST 2002

Greetings

QUESTIONS FOR MAILMAN

#1 Sudden deluge of SPAM hitting the list

   Under the "Security" section of the ADMIN it says:

   "... See "forbidden"

   However I cannot find "forbidden" anywhere on any of the
   help pages or any of the other pages. Also searched the
   documentation and the word doesn't occur there either.

   Will those 'frequent' spammers be blocked if I add their
   domains to the block screen?

   How do I block them without getting a notice?

        Hold posts with header value matching a specified regexp.
            Allows you to filter out known addresses or domains that function
            primarily as spam providers.

   I do not want to "HOLD" those posts, I want them blocked and
   deleted without being notified.

#2 Sudden deluge of "bounces" or "undeliverables"

   The list has been operating fine for months using this set
   of subscribers. Suddenly, yesterday, I get 160 "undeliverables"
   from known good addresses. Some of them also actually got
   posted. Today I get 7 more pages of bounces.

#3 Bouncing Non-Subscribers

   I would rather "DISCARD" and delete all posts from non-subscribers
   and NOT get any notice of any kind.
   The option doesn't seem to be available. How do I do that?

#4 When are duplicates deleted?

   If I get duplicate addresses, are they deleted immediately?

#5 Remote "Unsubscribe"

   Is there a better way to "UNSUBSCRIBE" people using an email?

   It is rediculously tedious to remove people (who post a "Remove Me"
   to the list) by going to the member management page.
   If you've got a list of 50,000 subscribers, you have to first
   load all the initial page, then try to find the page where the
   address is located, then find that person to UNSUBSCRIBE them.

As a side note: the interface is better than most other listservers
however your comments on the "help" buttons are usually no help.
They usually just repeat what was said on the main page. Many
times they are cryptic, or phrased in such a way that it is
unclear what option to actually pick.

thanks for the help. The program seems to work okay.

Thanks for reading

Fred Showker

Admin: The Design Cafe List: