[Mailman-Users] apachectl configtest.. Syntax error: Group takes one argument, Effective group id for this server

mailman at tux.org mailman at tux.org
Fri Sep 27 15:45:38 CEST 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Roger Chrisman wrote:

> (Mailman doc snip, from /usr/share/doc/packages/mailman/INSTALL):
>
>   --with-cgi-gid=<group-or-groups>
>         Specify an alternative group for running scripts via the
>         CGI wrapper.  <group-or-groups> can be a list of one or
>         more integer group ids or symbolic group names.  The first
>         value in the list that resolves to an existing group is
>   >>    used.  By default, the value is the the list `www www-data
>         nobody'.

Note that the "--with-cgi-gid" option will accept a -list- of groups,
but only -one- of them ends up being used.  Which one?  "The first
value in the list that resolves to an existing group is used." (That
sentence starts two lines above your ">>" in the above snip.)  Do not
confuse what "--with-cgi-gid" accepts as an argument with what your
web server will accept as an argument for "Group".

> What should I have for "Group" in httpd.conf to make Mailman happy?

I think you are looking down the wrong end of the telescope.  Edit
httpd.conf to make your web server happy; supply the correct argument
to "--with-cgi-gid" to make Mailman happy.  What will make Mailman
happy?  That which matches your web server configuration.

- Andrew