[Mailman-Users] log directories exceed 64K

Charles Sebold sebold at lcms.org
Thu Sep 26 15:10:59 CEST 2002

On 19 Tishrei 5763, Mark Gillingham wrote:

> Most of the files in /var/log/mailman/ are empty and I don't
> understand why the format is of many directories with numbers (e.g.,
> post.5.4.3.2.1). This came to get me this weekend when our local telco
> cut our line and many extra logfiles were created because mail could
> not be sent or received. The number of directories exceed 64K and
> caused my system to stop. Can I erase all of these logs? Why are the
> created in this way? Where can I read about them?

The problem is not Mailman but your log rotation software.  You might
have a look around /etc/logrotate* and see if you can figure out where
it is configured incorrectly.
--
Charles Sebold        Microsoft delenda est        20th of Tishrei, 5763
LCMS - Office of Information Systems               http://docs.lcms.org/