[Mailman-Users] Mail List Encryption

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Sep 25 20:43:41 CEST 2002

On 25 Sep 2002 09:37:03 -0400
Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I find it hard to believe that you would want an open mailing list
> manager like Mailman *and* want to run encrypted email out of it...

There are a number of uses for crypted lists ranging from cypherpunks to
discussion of sensitive material.  Architecturally it can be
accomplished at either the MLM or MTA level without enourmous
difficulty.  The problems arise when you start confronting the PKI
issues, the human usability issues, and the server-side performance
issues.  There are no "right" answers to any of them.

> Wouldn't you be happier with a semi-static mailing alias and then
> having all your folks use PGP (or GPG) to encrypt their email?

A common definition of a crypted list:

  Mail sent to the list is crpyted with the list's public key.

  The list uncrypts the mail and broadcasts it to each member.

  Prior to transmission each message is crypted with that individual
  member's public key.

ObNote: This is the easiest model to do at the MTA level.

--
J C Lawrence