[Mailman-Users] Emergancy Help!!!!!

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Thu Sep 19 08:26:14 CEST 2002

Mailman needs to run as user mailman, presumably 514 is the gid of
whoever you were logged in as when you got that error.

If mailman has run in the past and nobody has changed anything on you,
that's probably all it is.

The configuration files refer to compiling the source, and I have no
idea where you keep the source. I download all tarballs into /usr/src
and extract them there, so mine is in /usr/src/mailman-2.0.12. That
directory holds the file INSTALL, and you normally will run the
./configure and make install from that location. Assuming you didn't
change the directory name, 'locate mailman-2.0' should get you there
pretty quickly.

Note that the ./configure almost certainly needs to be run as

     ./configure --with-cgi-gid XX --with-mail-gid XX

to avoid a repeat of the problem.

Van

Kevin wrote:

> Everytime I run mailman from one of like 50 lists I get
>
> Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 99, GOT gid 514.  (Reconfigure to take 514?)
>  and gid 514 changes based on which user executed this script...
>

> HOW Do I fix this please? I can't find the configuration files anywhere
>

> I have Mailman stored in
>
> /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman
>

> based off of that path, can you tell me where the configuration file is? Please
>

> Thanks
>
> Kevin

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,