[Mailman-Users] Big headers

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Sep 18 18:15:45 CEST 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:32:54 -0700
G Armour Van Horn <vanhorn at whidbey.com> wrote:

> I believe that there is a setting for the number sent in a batch, but
> to go from 500 (default, I think) to 1 would be an excruciating hit to
> your performance.

See the FAQ.

The sweet spot is typically in the range of 5 - 10.

> I believe all of the discussion-list type servers (Mailman, listserv,
> Mercury, Majordomo, et al) use the same mechanism, so the ISPs that
> are using this technique for stopping spam will have to address
> legitimate list servers.

Sadly, nope.

SMTP is an unreliable transport.  ISPs have no especial obligation to
deliver received mail to their addressed users (no matter that those
users and we may feel differently).  Further, the ISPs won't reveal the
filter controls they are using as they don't want the SPAMmers working
they're way around them (they also change them regularly as the SPAMmers
empirically deduce the values).

--
J C Lawrence