[Mailman-Users] Solaris install problem

derf derf at sonic.net
Sun Sep 15 18:11:39 CEST 2002

I'm trying to install Mailman under Solaris 8 with the 8_recommended patches
installed.  I've downloaded, compiled, and installed Python 2.2.1.  While
attempting to configure Mailman 2.0.13, it gives the following error no
matter what I do:

# ./configure --with-username=mailman
checking for --with-python... no
checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
checking Python interpreter... /usr/local/bin/python
checking Python version... 2.2.1
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking for true... /usr/bin/true
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether #! works in shell scripts... yes
checking for --with-var-prefix... no
checking for --with-username... mailman
checking for mailman UID... Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "conftest.py", line 1, in ?
    import pwd, string
ImportError: No module named pwd
cat: cannot open conftest.out

configure: error:
***** No "mailman" user found!
***** Your system must have a "mailman" user defined
***** (usually in your /etc/passwd file).  Please see the INSTALL
***** file for details.
#

My /etc/passwd has the following line in it:

mailman:x:126:508::/apps/mailman:/usr/local/bin/tcsh

The user and group have been created as per the instructions.  I'm thinking
that it's giving me this error message, but not because of the user issue,
but because of something else.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be?

Thanks,

Derf