[Mailman-Users] configure mailman on Solaris 8

George Crum george.crum at webwarecorp.com
Thu Sep 5 22:48:56 CEST 2002

Hello,
I'm having trouble getting configure to run on a Solaris 8 server.  Here is
the configure command that I issue and the resulting error.

./configure --prefix=/export/home/mailman --with-mail-gid=25
--with-cgi-gid=1004

checking for --with-var-prefix... no
checking for --with-username... mailman
checking for mailman UID... Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "conftest.py", line 1, in ?
    import pwd, string
ImportError: No module named pwd
cat: cannot open conftest.out

configure: error:
***** No "mailman" user found!
***** Your system must have a "mailman" user defined
***** (usually in your /etc/passwd file).  Please see the INSTALL
***** file for details.

I have created the user mailman and a group called mailman.  Plus created
the home directory /export/home/mailman.

Has anyone out there compiled Mailman on Solaris 8?

- George Crum