[Mailman-Users] Foolish Newbie Question - Python v. Python2

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Wed Sep 4 21:18:54 CEST 2002

Hello,

I have looked at the Install document, gone to the Mailman FAQ, and generally tried to figure this out.  But so far, without luck.  And yet it seems likely to be an obvious answer that eludes me.

I am currently running Red Hat 7.2 and 7.3 machines, and each has both "python" and "python2" installed.  Both are in /usr/bin.  The Mailman docs indicate that Python 2.1.3 or 2.2.1 are preferred.  I have 2.2.1 or newer, but only if 'python2' is run.

Before I get myself in trouble, should I use the

--with-python=</path/to/python>

option to customize the installation, and have it say "=/usr/bin/python2"?  Or what?  I don't know why Red Hat has both on there, but there might be a good reason to have both.

All advice welcome.

Thanks.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own