[Mailman-Users] archive stats

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 3 13:27:52 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 05:58, John Buttery wrote:

>   Well, I could be off (and if I am, I'm sure someone will fl^H^Hpolitely
> correct me), but I think you are barking up the wrong tree, approaching
> this as a Mailman issue.  From what I can work out in my head, Mailman
> is simply an email multiplexer; it doesn't really have a concept of a
> coherent set of past messages.  However, you may want to look into
> something that can work on a Pipermail archive; also, on the archive
> page for my list (and I assume yours as well) there is a link where you
> can download a full archive of every post ever sent to the list, which
> should be parseable by anything that speaks mbox.
>
> --
> john at io.com (John Buttery)
> drat, I broke my sig script AGAIN!

True enough it is a Pipermail problem - and a fairly simple one
depending on the type of stats he is looking for.

Erick, could you be more explicit as to what kind of stats you are
looking for?

Last year we threw together some stat scripts for Mailman using the log
files. It was a combined effort that took about 4 days - at the end of
which we had some fairly nice scripts that gave a monthly total for:
 - the number of messages attempted,
 - the number of messages accepted,
 - the total byte count processed for the list, and
 - the top 10 posters to the list.

Jon Carnes