[Mailman-Users] Some problems

Patrick Schoenfeld p.schoenfeld at epost.de
Sun Sep 1 23:51:16 CEST 2002

Hi people,

i tried to setup mailman this evening and had some problems
and i hope you can help me :-)

1. I want to run the list at lists.domain.xy not at domain.xy
and i couldn't find out how to realise that

2. I can access the webadministration via http://domain.xy/mailman/admin
but every link is wrong.
e.g. it's not http://domain.xy/mailman/admin/test but http://domain.xy/admin/test
I've used following settings in $PREFIX/Mailman/mm_cfg.py:
DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = 'lists.domain.xy'
DEFAULT_URL = 'http://domain.xy./mailman/'
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL  = '/pipermail'
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/private'

3. If i send a mail to any list e.g. test at domain.xy it comes back
the MTA mail contains:
test at domain.xy
    Child process of list_transport transport returned 2 from command:
    /usr/mailman/mail/wrapper

I checked which GID ./configure takes when i don't specify it and it matches my system
(apache is running under GID 33 and exim under GID 8 - that's what ./configure of mailman says
and that's totally true)

Something more about my current system configuration:
I'm running it on a Debian system with exim as MTA configured like i where told in README.EXIM
The used httpd is apache which is configured like following:

ScriptAlias   /mailman/       /usr/mailman/cgi-bin/
Alias /pipermail/ /usr/mailman/archives/public/

I had to remove the Exec Line that i were told in the online installation instructions
and added a the following Directory directive instead cause apache refused to start with that line.

<Directory /usr/mailman/cgi-bin>
    Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Ok, that should be all neccessary information, if you have any questions that
would help you to help me just ask them.

Thanks for any help
-Patrick