OFFTOPIC Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3)

Kyle Rhorer rhorer at swbell.net
Wed Oct 30 21:12:54 CET 2002

On Wednesday 30 October 2002 13:44, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 07:32:56PM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> > No, it's not. Not a bit. One of the things my organization does is
> > manage the email systems for our corporation (not a small one). and
> > we set policy on email clients quite simply: "here are the ones we
> > support. If you use something else, we wish you luck. If it doesn't
> > work right, we hope you can fix it".
>
> I have no recollection of any mailing list ever sending me a list of
> supported MUAs when I subscribed.

IIRC, he wasn't speaking in the context of mailing lists.  He was
speaking in the context of a corporate helpdesk that supports employee
or contract customer users.  The fact that it's impractical to make the
same sort of proclaimations in a public mailing list setting is why
historically an MLM would attempt to cater to the LCD.  If I understand
the discussion that has gone on here, the thinking is that it's time to
push the issue a little bit in order to raise the bar.  I agree with
that line of thinking, but I don't necessarily agree with all the ways
in which it was implemented.  However, what seems at first glance to be
a change for the worse sometimes turns out in the long term to be a
change for the better, so I'm keeping an open mind and respecting the
judgement of those wiser in such matters than myself.

Kyle
--
Since the general civilizations of mankind, I believe there are more
instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual