[Mailman-Users] obscure email addresses_ where?

TyrusMaynard rustym at main.nc.us
Tue Oct 29 21:59:36 CET 2002

   In my short experience as a Mailman 2.0.13   list administrator, I have had this
setting:
obscure_addresses (privacy): Show member addrs so they're not directly
recognizable as email addrs?

toggled  as  "Yes"  since the inception of the list.

The help says that the following will result:
"Setting this option causes member email addresses to be transformed when
they are presented on list web pages (both in text and as links), so they're not
trivially recognizable as email addresses. The intention is to to prevent the
addresses from being snarfed up by automated web scanners for use by
spammers".

addresses.   Only the  list of  member addresses  has an "AT" replacement to
thwart  spam robot scanners  ( and that is configured to be viewed only by
admin anyway).

???Is this feature working properly? ...  and will there be a future  Mailman
version that will  eliminate emails entirely so that they elude more than trivial
interpretation?

Since I also have the archives set to a private status:
(archive_private (archive), could  this privacy setting be the reason why the
"@"  values are not substituted.?     If so , can I expect for the emails to be
hidden or substituted  if and when the archive is coverted to public status.

Thanks
Tyrus Maynard