OFFTOPIC Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Oct 30 04:37:26 CET 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 10:56:39 -0800 (PST)
alex wetmore <alex at phred.org> wrote:

> 1) You are using an email system which removes duplicates (based on
> the Message-Id header).  Microsoft Exchange 2000 is one such system.
> If Mailman is changing the headers so much perhaps it should stick a
> new Message-Id on the message though.

We should start out admitting that such mail systems are broken and then
decide how far we want to cater to such broken systems.

> 2) You want replies to your messages to show up in your mailman-users
> folder (or whatever), but colored in a different manner.  I do this.
> If I'm away for a while and want to catch up on a folder I just scan
> for cyan messages.  I don't want public replies to messages that I
> posted on a mailing list to end up in my private inbox.

There are multiple ways to achieve this.  Parsing To: is one of the more
fragile ways.  Far more effective and near-guaranteed to be correct
(except for the standard broken software case as above) is tracking

--
J C Lawrence