OFFTOPIC Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Oct 29 18:46:29 CET 2002

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 08:55  AM, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> However I find the addition of my delivery address into the To line
> highly irritating

Why? I'm curious.

What you're seeing is the move of mailman away from a bulk delivery
model.

Why? Because, among other things, it's the first step towards a
fully-customized setup. 2.1 allows you to customize various aspects of
your subscription in ways that couldn't be done before. Also, more and
more mail systems throw a tainted eye at all bulk mail (and for that
matter, anything that is sent using BCC), and I think it's important
that we understand that and differentiate mailing lists from those bulk
deliveries.

> Seeing my
> own address in a message header raises a mental flag that this message
> was sent to me personally,

Well, it was. Mailman carefully packaged up the message I posted, and
then customized it to the preferences of each subscriber of the list.
yours was set up JUST for you, in fact. As the personallization aspects
are added to the message templates, you'll see that more obviously. And
if you choose to customize your subscription, you'll start taking more
advantage of it...

>  and sincere as you are no doubt being Chuq, I
> don't think you would consider the last batch of messages from you all
> personally addressed to me :-)

actually, we could argue the philosophy of that at some point...

> If you want to put the real delivery address in the message put it in
> the footer - some mail systems (hello sendmail) happily bugger around
> with the header lines anyway so its not even a (completely) safe marker
> of which account is subscribed to the list.

Actually, sendmail does a good job of this. The only mail server I'm
really pissed at these days is First Class (hint: I just wrote a new
bounce processing system for a project. I fed it 70,000 bounces, and it
managed to handle all of them except about 800. Of those 800, half were
from first class servers. In fact, NO first class server bounce was
able to be automatically processed. Exchange and Notes were very
distant second and 3rd for messing up stuff such that I couldn't
process things....)

Sendmail gets a bad rap for things that people writing stupid
interfaces to it make it do.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam my clothes down here, will you?