[Mailman-Users] Can't subscribe via web

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Sat Oct 26 03:57:24 CEST 2002

On Friday, October 25, 2002, at 01:32  PM, Raul A. Gallegos wrote:

>> that it would hinder subscriptions. It says YOU'LL BE SORRY IF YOU
>> DON'T
>> which I took as not completely necessary.
>
> Hmm, that kind of message I take as, "If you don't do it you will be
> screwed, so you better do it." *smile*.

I guess we need to change the message to "do this, or we'll hunt you
down and hurt your dog".

>> DEVELOPERS:  Why don't you just add the cron jobs as a NECESSARY part
>> of
>> the installation.

> No, no, no!!!  I don't want install scripts messing with my crontabs,
> I'd rather set them up myself.  What if you have a special palace to
> put
> them in or want to tweak the times.?

crontab editing isn't really standardized, either, and it's a real
b-tch to figure out if the cron entries are already there, or have been
installed and customized, or....

this is not something I think should be automated. Too many ways to
make life much worse. And given how often we run into "I thought it was
optional" (as opposed to "read the instructions? why?'), I'm just not
convinced it's broken.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.