[Mailman-Users] newbie question -- sendmail errors

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Oct 24 04:07:23 CEST 2002

This is simply one of the first of a few errors you will run into while
installing on Red Hat (using the rpms).

You need to add a link in your /etc/smrsh directory to your mailman
wrapper program.  Something like:
  cd /etc/smrsh
  ln -s ~mailman/mail/wrapper wrapper

This tells smrsh that Mailman's wrapper program is okay-dokie to run via
a Sendmail alias.

Next problem you will run into is that your Sendmail does not listen for
a local connection.  If you install from source, there are some really
nice files that tell you all about smrsh and about the overly paranoid
Sendmail problem - and how to get around them.

There are a couple of ways around the Sendmail problem, the easiest is
to comment out the line in your /etc/sendmail.cf file that restricts the
interfaces used by Sendmail.  If that line is commented out then
Sendmail will default to listening on all local interfaces, and isn't
that a happy thing to do!?!

  # SMTP client options
  #O ClientPortOptions=Address= ......

Good Luck!