[Mailman-Users] Can the group adminstrator remove the archivedmessages!!

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 21 15:31:36 CEST 2002

You are asking for a simple way to remove messages from the archive?

That is not a feature of Mailman. To remove archived messages, someone
with System Administration rights will have to edit the mbox file that
contains the message archive.  After that, you have to delete the old
HTML based archives and regenerate them using the ~mailman/bin/arch
command.

An alternative is to turn off the archives for a bit, then:
- import the archive mbox format into a folder in your email
- edit the folder, deleting any mail and expunging the deletes
- export the modified mbox file
- ftp the mbox file back to the server
- replace the old mbox file in the archive
- regenerate the archives using ~mailman/bin/arch

And yet another alternative is to use an external Archiver. Mailman's
archiver is very simple and lacks some of the features of more advanced
Archivers (like Monharc). You could use an external archiver that allows
you to delete old mail easily via a web form.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes
===