[Mailman-Users] multiple emails

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 15 22:38:26 CEST 2002

The archives contain a lengthy discussion of this issue (from quite a
while back).

What version of Mailman are you running?  You might want to upgrade at
this time if you are running a version below 2.0.13.

Also, how are the resources on your current server?  50thousand plus is
a lot of folks and it may be that it's time to upgrade your hardware.

I think that you are right about the problem being related to qrunner
and its timeout. It could simply be that it is taking soo long to
deliver a message that the lock file times out:

  # This variable specifies how long the lock will be retained
  # for a specific operation on a mailing list.  Watch your
  # logs/lock file and if you see a lot of lock breakages, you
  # might need to bump this up.  However if you set this
  # too high, a faulty script (or incorrect use of bin/withlist)
  # can prevent the list from being used until the lifetime
  # expires.  This is probably one of the most crucial tuning
  # variables in the system.
  LIST_LOCK_LIFETIME = hours(5)

  # cron/qrunner lock lifetime.  This is probably the second
  # most crucial tuning variable in the system.  See the
  # notes for LIST_LOCK_LIFETIME above.  Watch your logs/smtp
  # file and make sure that QRUNNER_LOCK_LIFETIME is set longer
  # than the longest period you see here.  It is a bad thing
  # if multiple qrunners run at the same time.
  QRUNNER_LOCK_LIFETIME = hours(10)

Hope this helps!  Take care - Jon Carnes