[Mailman-Users] Problems installing Mailman 2.1b3

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Oct 15 21:52:25 CEST 2002

    BA> Hi all,

    BA> I have tried installing Mailman 2.1b3 on Mandrake 8.1
    BA> system. ./Configure went fine, however upon make install i
    BA> received following error:

    | Compiling /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py ...
    | Compiling /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Version.py ...
    | Compiling /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/__init__.py ...
    | Compiling /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/htmlformat.py ...
    | Compiling /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/i18n.py ...
    | Listing /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/pythonlib ...
    | Compiling /var/lib/mailman/Mailman/versions.py ...
    | Traceback (most recent call last):
    |   File "bin/update", line 46, in ?
    |     from Mailman import Utils
    |   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 34, in ?
    |     import email.Iterators
    | ImportError: No module named email.Iterators
    | make: *** [update] Error 1

    BA> Does anyone know how I could resolve it? It seems to be asking
    BA> for module email.iterators, where could I find it?

I'm betting that the root cause of this is the same as the paths.py
problem on RH.  Are you using Python installed from RPM?

If so, be sure you install the devel package as well, otherwise your
Python will not have the distutils package, which is essential for
installing Mailman.  From-source installs of Python will not have this
problem, but it looks like RPM packagers have decided to put distutils
in the devel packages.

In MM2.1b4, configure will bark loudly if the distutils package isn't
available.

-Barry