[Mailman-Users] mbox files with leading blank line

Greg Ward gward at mems-exchange.org
Fri Oct 11 21:13:30 CEST 2002

My usual mode of interaction with Mailman is via the command-line --
this web stuff is just too newfangled.  Thus, whenever I want to look in
a list's archive, I generally run "mutt -f" on the archive mbox file.

I have noticed that many Mailman mbox archives are just a tad bogus:
ie. they start with a blank line rather than a "From " line, eg.

$ head -2 archives/private/microscope-list.mbox/microscope-list.mbox

>From microscope-list-admin  Thu Jan 28 10:11:07 1999

Naturally, mutt complains that this is not a valid mbox file.

Is this an old bug that was fixed long ago, and does not affect new
lists?  Or can this still happen with the current Mailman?  (I'm in the
process of switching from 2.0.12 to 2.1b3+.)

My usual workaround is to look over both shoulders to make sure no one's
watching, cross my fingers and hope that no posts come in in the next
few seconds, and manually remove the offending blank line with a text
editor.  Is there a better way?

Thanks --

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                gward at mems-exchange.org