[Mailman-Users] Archiver / spammer address scraping question...

Phydeaux reb at taco.com
Fri Oct 11 02:20:35 CEST 2002

Hi!

We use Mailman 2.0 for a number of lists which require arcives that
are open to all. We have had problems with spammers scraping addresses
from these archives and we wish to do something about it. The problem
is that if we hide all of the email addresses then legitimate users
will not be able to contact people about list-related subjects off of
the list since they won't have their email addresses.

>From what I can see, an ideal archiver would do this:
- Hide all email/mailto addresses in publicly available (no
  password) archives.
- Display email/mailto addresses when a user is logged into
  the archives using their Mailman password for the list.

Does anything do this?

Am I being naive in assuming that spammers will not obtain a
password and then scrape the archives to fill their need for
"100% opt in" addresses?

What have others done to address this issue?

reb