[Mailman-Users] HELP!

Emy Murakawa emymura at ucla.edu
Thu Oct 3 02:55:58 CEST 2002

I had originally sent an e-mail to Christopher Kolar <ckolar at aurora.edu> as
he had written the user help info, but aside from indicating that he had
done it (so it must be possible) and that it would require some change in
setting, he hasn't responded any further.  Of course, since he's no longer
with mailman, I think he did very well to respond to me at all.  I then
tried contacting help at python.org, and they suggested I go back to the
mailman site and start again.

Can you help me out with something? CHIS has a listserv. I am familiar with
entering new names, correcting them, and un-subscribing them, but here's
the problem. I would like to make a couple of sections of the listserv a
global sub-list. In other words, using a familiar group, I'd like to have
faculty under one mail address that broadcasts to all. I.e., I'd like to be
able to pick "Faculty" and be able to limit the group for edits,
corrections, updates, etc. (in other words, a group cut-n-paste).

I don't know what this is technically called, but I've heard it referred to
as a global group list and an umbrella subset (the entire listserv is the
umbrella, and within the umbrella are several sub-sets). I'd appreciate any
insight you might be able to give me!

Emy

Response from our IT:

Sorry Emy, but I haven't heard of anything like that being applicable to
the Listserv software that we are using. We are currently using "Mailman"
by www.python.org