[Mailman-Users] Is this real? (Missing Password Message)

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Nov 29 05:29:00 CET 2002

    Tim> One of my list managers forwarded the below to me and I've
    Tim> never seen anything like it before.  My question is: Is this
    Tim> a legitimate Mailman v2.0.8 message or is it a worm generated
    Tim> message (notice the "To: undisclosed-recipients: ;")?  Note
    Tim> I've replaced the valid user address with x's

    Tim> User: 'xxxxxx at xxx.xxx' List: elecraft

    Tim> lacks a password. Please notify the Mailman system manager at
    Tim> this site!

It's for real.  Earlier versions of Mailman could leave the user
database in an inconsistent state, where there's a record of the user
but no password registered for the user.  This is warning about that
state (I don't know why you got the undisclosed-recipients).

Off hand, the best way to solve the problem is probably to unsub the
addr and re-sub it.

-Barry