[Mailman-Users] qrunner dying problem

Greg Westin greg at gregwestin.com
Tue Nov 26 21:42:31 CET 2002

I asked this question a while back, but didn't receive an answer:

I'm running Mailman 2.1b on OS X with Postfix, and have tried to set
things up so that Mailman starts automatically when I boot up (see the
attached text files, if attachments are allowed on mailman-users).  I've
noticed, however, that Mailman doesn't seem to start up automatically when
I reboot, and sometimes the qrunners will just stop working.  When either
of these things happens, my mailing lists can be down for hours without my
knowing it, because the mail is received and sent to Mailman just fine, it
just never gets sent out.

I didn't know what to do about this, so I used the following crude method.
I simply added a root cron job that runs every hour that calls the startup
item I attached (/Library/StartupItems/Mailman/Mailman).  This keeps the
system from being down for more than an hour, but is obviously not a good
solution, and it generates an error message every hour telling me that the
qrunners are fine.

What could be going wrong here? I saw something that described a similar
problem and advised running check_perms, but I just ran it and the only
problems were with directory permissions on my private archives (I don't
know why this is happening, either, but they show up with incorrect
permissions).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

Greg Westin

---
greg at gregwestin.com
http://www.gregwestin.com/