[Mailman-Users] Sendmail: Cannot mail directly to programs

David Gordon davidgordon at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 11 11:58:45 CET 2002

I've now got the Mailman web interface up and working for my first list.
However sending a message to test-request at mydomain1.tld (to get help)
results in the following mail error

>Recipient "test-request at mydomain1.tld refused
>on "smtp.mydomain1.tld"
>5.7.1 <test-request at mydomain1.tld> ... Cannot
>mail directly to programs

According to the Sendmail FAQs at <http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html>

Q3.11 -- Why can't my users forward their mail to a program?

" If you are willing to let users run programs from their .forward file
even though they cannot telnet or rsh in (as might be reasonable if you
run smrsh to control the list of programs they can run) then add the line:

/SENDMAIL/ANY/SHELL/

to /etc/shells. "

Er, can I/should I do that then? Or is there another/better/safer/correct
way to do this?

Thanks again!

DG